- Steel Mills
- Industrial & Agricultural
- Material Handling
- Power Generation
- Oil and Gas
- Additional Services
- Quality Assurance
- API Group
Gears and Gear Components
API Engineering Ltd. is a second tier supplier of gears and gear components to the Industrial and Commercial Vehicle industries. The standards we employ to supply to this demanding sector are used throughout the organisation and the benefits of this are enjoyed by our customers in a range of different industries.
API Engineering can provide our customers with full gear manufacturing support; from developing, reviewing and assisting in gearbox designs to manufacturing and inspection of finished components for gear types such as:
- Parallel shaft gearboxes with both single and double helical gear design;
- Epicyclic gearboxes;
- Worm gearboxes.
Our gearbox designs and manufacturing processes adhere to international standards such as API 613, DIN 3990, AGMA 2001-C95, ISO 6336 or can customised based on the client requirements. Gears can be carburised or nitrided based on the customer's preferred heat treatment process.
As well as complete gearboxes, API Engineering also supplies individual part designs and components including:
- Single and double helical gear;
- Bevel gear;
- Worm gear;
- Gear casing;
- Selection of rolling contact, hydrodynamic journal and thrust bearings.
Our mechanical components comply with a wide range of international designs standard including VDI 2230 for bolting, DIN 6892 for key fitting, ISO 281 and ISO 16281 for rolling contact bearings, DIN 743 and AGMA 6001 for shaft design.
We manufacture standard gears from a wide range of materials as well as bespoke gears to customers' drawings, material, heat treatment and surface finish specifications. Utilising advanced CNC machines for tooth cutting and tooth grinding, we can ensure high accuracy and quality of our gears. Gears can be supplied as blanks or fully finished to the customers' requirements.
As well as mechanical components API Engineering can also assist in the design and supply of the whole lubrication and cooling package for gearboxes including:
- Selection and design of heat exchanger - both plate and shell type;
- Selection and design of mechanical and electrical pump solutions;
- Selection and design in-line and off-line filters;
- Gear oil specification such as mineral, polyglycol, polyalphaolefin, or others, as per customer requirements;
- Design and specification of pipe sizing, flow and pressure drop calculations, selection of nozzle and immersion heater, manifold design, etc.
- Sealing design using both lip and labyrinth seals.
We can also assist our customers with full failure mode analysis of mechanical gears and their components such as investigation of bearings, lubrication or thermal systems and providing new designs and appropriate calculation data files for:
- Gear rating calculation;
- Rolling contact bearings modified life calculation;
- Loss calculation of both gear and bearings;
- Shaft rating calculation;
- Key fittings, bolting, shrink fit calculation;
- Scuffing calculation;
- Flow and pressure drop calculation.